Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Is the problem really solved? Or, Pumpkin Heads Part 2


For anyone who was worried about my recent posting on the plastic pumpkin story, Pumpkin Heads and Silly Putty Comics, here’s a national update from the front page headlines on one of the most popular hits of the day about this true deer incident.

Yes, dear friends, wonder of wonders, he freed himself! All the rain in recent days not only slacked his thirst but apparently helped him out of his predicament. Evidence was reported with glee when some children found the empty pumpkin head on someone's property there in Cascade Township, in Michigan.

So there you have it. In my best Andy Rooney impersonation, I’m telling you, there's one less thing to worry about, one problem solved, here in the USA.

P.S. Deer season will be opening on time later in the week.

I’m asking myself about the comparisons to real life. Am I content to settle for temporal comforts and short-lived solutions when I know I’m going to die?

I'll restate the big silly putty question from my earlier posting on plastic pumpkins: The real question becomes not how do I deal with the temporal veneer before my eyes, but how will I deal when the bullets start flying? I need a survival strategy, not a facelift! Yet, in all our emotional knee-jerk reactions, the real issues are quickly warped. This is a cry for reason.

There is a link on this site to some video footage that will most assuredly put Rudolph right out of business. http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?x703495017 It is pitiful to watch, stirring, and maddening all at once. This delicate and free creature is captive to his own mistake.

While I was watching it, I couldn't help but ask myself if there is any resemblance to my own ridiculous life. To all the foolish decisions, silly distractions, and ridiculous situations that divert me from dealing with the eternal.

God, help us to get free of the things that bind us, and to get serious about the real issues of life! Teach me to live in such a way that I don't settle for the immediate or look for temporary solutions, but focus on the lasting and eternal realities. This is a cry for wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home