Sunday, October 11, 2009

Windsor Chairs

I’ve been corresponding with a girlfriend who’s suffering a terrible divorce. Last week she was served papers by an unfaithful husband--a self-absorbed jerk who’s been cheating on her for some time. Though the circumstances of our losses vary greatly, I sure understand the awful whirling emotions. How could this be? Where do I go from here? Oh Lord, when all seems lost what do I DO?

My friend mentioned a strange compulsion to go out and buy new kitchen chairs and that triggered memories with me too. I did the same thing when Frank was in the middle of his fight with radiation and chemo.

I was walking around in circles saying silly things, feeling out of control as life was unraveling around me. One day, I told Frank, I'm going to go out and find some matching kitchen chairs if it’s the last thing I do. I couldn’t explain my odd obsession, but at least this was something I could FIX in a world that was falling apart.

It felt good to remove the wobbly and creaking old things from my presence and bring in something whole and strong to our little abode. Yes, this one thing I could do and it brought deep satisfaction. Sometimes, a task as menial as finding kitchen chairs can be the one thing that stabilizes you.

I still have those kitchen chairs around my table, sturdy as oak can be. They are black and walnut windsors, handsome and strong, but my husband is gone. Life can pull the seat right out from under you, can't it?

Many a day, I feel as wooden as windsors, and just as empty. I too was created for purpose. I was made to be full, but now I stand as a silent reminder of the family that once gathered here.

So much has changed!

I don't believe it's God's purpose to hurt us. When the chair is gone, his hands are still waiting to catch us and put the pieces back. HE is a loving Father who hates to see us fall.

But one thing is unchanged. I’m still standing! My legs are firmly planted on solid ground! I have staked my claim on such promises as the blessing to Asher:

"...your strength will equal your days. There is no one like God… who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms... "

Deut 33:25-29

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home