Wednesday, August 08, 2012

What Ruffles Your Feathers?

I have a job working in the dean’s office on the campus of a technical college outside of Boston. One day, deadlines and conflicts made tensions rise and tempers flare. I really looked forward to my lunch break.

I often walk across the street to the serenity of a little pond where I sit on the grassy slopes under lovely old shade trees and watch the swans. I usually kick off my heels and call friends while I eat. It refreshes my spirit to connect with the people I love while soaking up a little sun and the beauty of God’s world.

Six weeks ago the five baby swans were only half the size of their parents but now they are fully grown. Their feathers are still brown but they are as big as mom, now only distinguishable by her snow white plumage. Hmmm, I wonder if there is any comparison to the white hair of old age associated with wisdom in the Bible?

The other day I noticed a long wedge of Canadian geese arriving and splashing down in the middle of the water with great flourish. Yesterday as I crested the little grassy slope I couldn’t help but notice all the noise and ruckus in a usually tranquil setting. Daddy Swan was chasing the geese with his wings beating the air. The geese were honking and splashing in spurts to get away from the agitated bully. I couldn’t believe his persistence as he paddled after the geese, annoying them until they would leave.

I looked for the rest of the swan family and noticed they were sequestered all the way to my left in an untouched area of the pond. It looked like Mom and the kids were told to wait by the house and Dad went to fend off the unwanted visitors in an all-out pursuit.

Who knew? All the swans I’ve ever seen appeared to be graceful and pleasant with long elegant necks swooning in the gentle motions of silent gliding. I never knew these peaceful creatures were capable of such agitation and aggression.

I’d certainly never seen anything like the aggressor that now commanded the attention of everyone around the pond. It was evident, he wasn’t going to sit back and let these Canadians take over his pond or help themselves to the only food source he knew to provide for his family.

Coming out of a tense office where people were taking out all their upsets on me and my coworker, I couldn’t help but draw parallels.
What ruffles your feathers? What annoys you or pushes you over the edge? What does it take to drive you to abnormal or unusual behavior? Is it unwanted guests? Is it the pressure of a too-tight schedule and ridiculous demands? Is it feeling unloved? Is it the need to be understood?

I wiggled my toes in the grass and laid back to watch puffy white clouds over bright green trees. I love soaking up the warmth of the sunrays and being loved by God. But I don’t like the ruckus of contention and fighting. I don’t like to bear the brunt of someone else’s agitation.

Isn’t it good to know that whatever it is that throws us off kilter and brings the worst out of us, the Lord understands? And when someone or something threatens us, HE is our faithful protector, relentless to guard over everything that pertains to our safety and well-being.

The Psalms tells us that the Lord our God never slumbers or sleeps. He goes before us and is also our rear-guard. He is able to provide for us, cover and comfort us, and restore peace to the pond.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home