Monday, June 10, 2013

Celebrating Anniversaries


Today would have been my 39th anniversary with Frank. I met him when I was sixteen, in an ice cream shop in our home town. He was home from college for the summer and I was fresh out of high school. We dated three years. Man oh man, seems like a lifetime ago. He's already been in heaven for SEVEN YEARS!

I wish I could call his cellphone and hear his voice and ask what he’s been doing all this time—though for him, it may only feel like a few days have passed. When we are finally cut loose from these bonds of time and space, I think it will all feel different.


This month, my three kids are all celebrating anniversaries, too. I can’t believe my daughter has been married 15 years and my sons for 10 and 6 years!

If I could give any advice about marriage it would be, ENJOY every bit of it! The struggles, and all the ups and downs! They are all part of your unique journey together and the memories will only sweeten with time.  

Don’t worry. The things you don’t like won’t last forever. But YOU are something special! CHERISH one another! Remember that you are a TEAM, one flesh, and all the trials along the way are only meant to make you stronger. Sounds cliché, I know, but they will!
I just finished reading Joni and Ken, the Untold Love Story. Wow! Joni Eareckson was part of my own life as a young Christian. In fact I got to meet her in Boston once, and we talked about the time I was “paralyzed” in New Guinea. Carried out of the tribe on a stretcher, I didn’t know if I would ever walk again.

I had a small taste of that limitation, being bedridden for only a month, then progressing to a wheelchair for another month, and finally, I made it to crutches when my youngest was 4 months old. That was hard at the time, but a perspective-changer for sure.

Joni’s story had encouraged me through it, and I was happy just to hold her hand and thank her. What a precious daughter of the most High God, a champion in my eyes! Here, 33 years later, she is still bravely continuing from her wheelchair to touch millions around the globe. She paints with her teeth, sings with all her heart, and travels to encourage broken lives all over the world.

 
Joni and Ken Tada have been able to embrace affliction, their love for one another has deepened with time, and God has used them mightily. What an inspiration they are!

So, to all my kids and all my married friends, Happy Anniverary!
Live well.
Love strong.
Savor your time together.

 

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Thank you for being faithful, saying “yes” to Christ and sharing your faith journey.

One way God guides me on my faith journey is through curiosity and then exploring to find the answer. On June 20th a curious thought about Moses and his obedience to God, at the Red Sea, came to mind – a google search lead me to your blog article: “The Rod of Moses.” That prompted me to read more of your wonderful journal pages.

Reading your personal thoughts are like standing under a waterfall of Scripture truth, it makes me smile and whisper, wow, there’s another breathing human that gets it. There are many historical examples of faithful disciples that are with Jesus, they are now a part of the many unseen witnesses cheering the saints to persevere. Whether a saint has passed or is still on their earthly journey, it’s wonderful to bump into kindred spirits.

My response to bumping into you is to pray, to thank God for His work in your life and your vulnerability. You are unique, you share a personal living-faith journey, truthfully, with clarity, joy and photos that make me smile.

It’s amazing to realize that without our knowledge, Jesus can prompt someone (a person we don’t know that lives thousands of miles away) to pray and to continue praying as the Holy Spirit leads.

May Christ be glorified in everything we think, say and do.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Karen Low Deloge said...

Thank you for such a heartfelt comment, Mark. Yes, it is wonderful to share the journey and discover kindred spirits! Thank you for reaching out to say so. That encourages me as well.

You didn't say where you are but you mentioned thousands of miles. How exciting! I pray the Lord continues to use the web for reaching souls everywhere around the globe.

Until that glorious Day,
Karen
aka Soulscriber

6:21 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

“Until that glorious Day,” reminds me of a recent memory treasure that conveys the desire of my heart:

1 – Praise the LORD!
Let all that I am praise the LORD.
2 – I will praise the LORD as long as I live.
I will sing praises to my God with my dying breath.

6 – He made heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them.
He keeps every promise forever.
–Psalm 146:1, 2 & 6 (NLT)

May Christ be glorified in everything we think, say and do!

Your Seattle brother in Christ,
Mark

3:25 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

A thought for your prayers:

Giving is often easier than receiving and people who abundantly give may find receiving uncomfortable. However, there are times when Christ wants us to be open to receiving encouragement from a person’s voice. If you would like a conversation with a fellow “faithwalker,” you are welcome to contact me via email to request my phone number.

There are no strings attached to this offer, it’s simple and it’s genuine. It’s comes from a place of prayer. This is joyful obedience – saying “yes” to God, trusting Him and praying for the power to accomplish all of the good things my faith in Christ prompts me to do.

You have my promise that I will never personally contact you unless specifically invited to do so.

May Christ’s peace and joy guide you,

Your Seattle brother in Christ

10:30 AM  
Blogger Karen Low Deloge said...

Mark, thanks for all your encouraging comments. If you want to continue the conversation you can email soulscriber@me.com. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home