Thursday, May 23, 2013

Going in Circles

May 18, 2013  Frank’s Birthday 

Wow, if Frank were alive he would have turned 61 today. Hard to believe he’s been gone since he was 53. Such a colorful, inventive, sweet companion he was for 34 years. Life has managed to take new shapes and forms. I’ve learned about new sides of myself and the Lord has been faithful to sustain me, but I still wonder how life would have been different had he remained at my side. I know I wouldn’t have worried as much and I probably wouldn’t have cried this much…   

But then again, I wouldn’t have had as many opportunities to talk to other hurting souls. MAYBE there wouldn’t be as many others coming to heaven either…   
 
Last night for example. I was asked to speak at the Relay for Life and though I had to change plans, I knew the Lord had it all arranged. I remembered my own journey, and how I used to walk around the Medway track while Frank was fighting brain tumors.

Many days it was the only thing that kept me grounded, feeling that something was normal. The laps never changed, the course never altered, even though I was merely tracing my own footprints in the snow, just going in circles. 

I would meditate on the words of Psalm 23 and especially verse 4 where David changed tenses and turned from talking about God to a direct chat to God. Valleys full of shadows have a way of bringing us closer to the Lord don’t they.  

So I shared with the group while looking at the red turf of a beautiful track and remembering how the Lord taught me that He is with me every step of the way—no matter how difficult or steep or heart-rending it may be. He is with me! Then I played my favorite Alison Krauss song called A Living Prayer. (Pull it up on itunes and listen to those incredible lyrics!)  

I made a luminary for him and it was beautiful when the sky grew dark and a bright half moon peeked over the trees. Then the loud speaker came on and they announced a car in the parking lot with a flat…  it was mine. Ha! I called triple A and they put on my donut in the dark. Since it’s at least 7 years old it was also flat, so I headed out to find a gas station at 9pm for air, but I only made it about half a mile before the donut turned into a flatbread and I was riding straight on the rim!

What now, Lord? Help! I put on the flashers and stood by the car with phone in hand, calling triple A again when a truck pulled right in behind me, put on an overhead flasher, and offered to help. I was on a terrible corner but he “just happened to have” three bright orange cone markers and all the tools not only to change my tire back but to repair the original one which had a big nail in it!

What a ‘coincidence’ that he just happens to work for a tire company! He did a better job than triple A and as he worked, we talked. It started with his tattoos (one had a cross) and of course got around to what’s going on in his life.  

Turns out, Derek was on the way to find a church parking lot to sit in. He just happened to be searching for God that night, and found Him! What I really like is that this good Samaritan stopped to be a blessing, but God had a bigger blessing in store for him! We prayed right there on the sidewalk, I gave him a Bible, and hugged him as my newest brother.  It was a sweet way to celebrate Frank’s birthday with another birthday.

Thank you Lord. You know how to turn things around and take even a punctured tire and create another memorable salvation story. Even when life seems to be going in circles, or when things that should go flat, you are there with me.

Happy Birthday Frank! I still miss you honey! Have a sweet treat for me today and meet me at the gates, k?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home