Friday, February 15, 2019

Depressed? What’s the Solution?


“I’m taking my anti-depressants, but I’m still feeling depressed!” 

This is the beginning of a commercial advertisement I heard this morning stepping out of the shower. Then the “doctor” says that’s not abnormal. "In fact 2 out of 3 people taking anti-depressants are still experiencing symptoms of depression."

Wow! So a chemical solution usually doesn’t work. Then I listened with my mouth ajar as they listed the dangers:  thoughts of suicide, high fever, stiff muscles, or uncontrolled muscle movement which may be permanent, confusion, and an increased risk of death or stroke! 

Now seriously, if you’re already wrestling with depression, do you need a chemical assistant to increase thoughts of suicide? Do you really want to add the risk of permanent disability or stroke or even DEATH to your list of burdens? 

That wasn’t all! While the pretty red-haired actress packed food containers for a bright white van for GOOD WORKS KITCHEN, the narrator continued to list other life-threatening risks:  decreased white blood cells (which is your immune system), trouble swallowing, dizziness while standing, seizures, impaired judgment and motor skills, increased blood sugar, cholesterol, weight gain, and unusual or compulsive behaviors!  

Sign me up! As if the five big ones in the first list weren’t bad enough, or didn’t kill me, any one of these symptoms would have me running to the ER!  

But the music kept playing and of course at the end of the ad, the woman stood proudly in front of the van and says, “I’m glad I talked to my doctor about adding Rexulti. Now I can stay on my current antidepressants and add Rexulti!”

The voiceover concludes, “Feel better about facing your world. See details at Rexulti.com.”

Are you serious? I’m depressed after listening to the commercial! It’s hard to believe that anyone would want to test a product with all those horrid side effects and risks of worsening the problems they already have! 


The best solution the world offers is to invite you onto a tight rope of juggling death-defying symptoms. Which ones do you choose? Pick your poison. I think I'd rather get drunk and jump off a cliff if those are my only options. 

OR! Why not talk about the things that are making you depressed and get to the root of the problem? Are you grieving? Alone? Going through divorce? Fighting illness? Have you been abused? Aren’t there better ways to navigate through these troubled waters without adding the risks of taking life-threatening drugs? 

There is a healer, a helper, the lover of your soul, who bore the stripes in his own body, and paid the price of your sin with his own blood. He is our Redeemer and He shows no partiality, accepting all who come to Him for forgiveness! This is such Good News, we are tempted to doubt it. But God is not a liar. 

Like a breath of fresh air, Jesus welcomes everyone with open arms, no matter what you’re facing and says, “Come unto me all you who are weary or heavy-laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Mt. 11:28-30

Yeshua was referring to coming to him in saving faith and following God and His instructions for life in the teachings of the Torah. That yoke is not burdensome, he said, but will save you in every sense of the word and ensure a long life of blessing for you and your children.  It begins with an overwhelming sense of his PEACE, unlike anything the world can offer. (John 14:27) Go ahead and read the incredible BENEFITS and other promised “side effects” listed in Deuteronomy 28! 

I should point out that these are followed by the sobering predictions of what to expect in life if you don’t follow God’s truth. In other words, life will only get worse if you ignore God’s solution, the offer He already paid for with promises for both immediate and eternal blessing for you and your family. 

A couple pages later (and in many other places in the Bible) it's repeated and summed up in the words, “I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life so that you and your children may live… For the LORD is your life…” Deut. 30:19

It's a simple solution based on the eternal Word and promise of God!  

If you really want to feel better about facing this world, and the world to come, try this! I’m so glad I did! 


Return to God, your Maker, Creator of the universe.  Come before Him with words of repentance and a readiness to follow His teachings and you will be forever changed. Remember, He is gentle and humble, and invites you to learn as you go. You will find real rest for your heart and soul as you follow Yeshua the Messiah. 





   


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home