Thursday, April 07, 2022

A Real Fishing Pole

This little poem originally published in 2006 when I first started this blog. Now, this little boy's about to turn 20 and he's finishing his sophomore year at Florida State!  Where have the years gone? 


I fulfilled a dream in my grandson’s life this week. 
And for this Nana, it was a real special treat… 
My daughter’s back went out of whack and she couldn’t get any sleep. 
So I took the kids outside for awhile so she wouldn’t hear a peep. 
We circled the pond and the park and the swings. 
We laughed and blew bubbles and did all sorts of things. 
 
One of the games that we’ve played on our strolls 
Is to make-believe fish using sticks for our poles. 
But we passed some kids who were casting for fish 
And I heard that little boy make a real sweet wish. 
“I wish I had a real fishing pole,” he said sadly. 
That made me want to go fishing real badly. 

So into the car and off to the store 
Where we found a whole kit with tackle galore. 
We assembled the gear in Papa’s old shop. 
Dusted off the workbench and stood in his spot. 
So good to remember his life so well lived, 
And being with his grandson is such a special gift. 

My dear boy seemed taller as he carried that rod 
On his shoulder so proudly, I gave him a nod, 
And we talked about Papa whose old pocket knife 
Would probably stay with him the rest of his life. 
“Let’s blow him a kiss,” the dear boy suggested. 
I’m glad for the time in his life he invested. 

I keep flashing back to my own little kids-- 
Surprised how their faces still live in my lids. 
We positioned ourselves near some rocks and logs And we tried frozen corn and some soggy hotdogs. We cast for awhile and this Nana was thinking, 'Harder than it looks,' as our bait kept on sinking. 
 
We could see fish and we fed them awhile, 
Till he suddenly caught one—and then came a smile!
The red and white bobber tugged up and down,
"Where did he go?" He asked with a frown. 
We reeled and squeeled and jumped all around 
And finally we had him up on the ground! 

With rainbow colors and shimmering scales 
He gave that boy his first fishin’ tale. 
I’ll never forget our first fishing trip 
With hooks and lines and a real good grip, 
And a shiny red fishing pole that’s actually real, 
He saw how to go out there and reel in a meal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home