Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Prison Life

My grandson’s best buddy from Little Lambs is another very colorful and imaginative little boy. It’s no wonder the two of them are self-proclaimed “best friends for life.”

Last night I heard his parents telling what happened in the rain the other day. They’d had just about enough of the stalling tactics and it was time to put their foot down. "Put your coat on and march STRAIGHT to the car," they demanded. Joel surveyed the situation and said with a huff, “Raining... Marching… I may as well be in PRISON!”

Where would a four-year-old get such an idea? The dad was just shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders. His mom remembered having read the Bible story about Paul being in prison and wondered if he just filled in the blanks with an active imagination. Who really knows? The mind of a child is full of surprising things. One thing is certain, no matter how winsome and adorable, every child eventually tries to test the limits.

It’s so cute because we big 'smart people' know that his life is far from the harsh realities of prison life. We smile because he thinks he’s got it bad being made to do something he doesn’t want to do.

But how often do I look at life and do the same thing? Like Joel, I might make radical judments based on a few random observations. I might glance at my circumstances, select a pair of simple problems or events, and then calculate by the same ridiculous formula, saying, one plus one equals prison! I’m not always adding right, because I'm not always seeing right. My vision is skewed and biased. My eyes are weak and self-centered. God, help me to see clearly and to make right deductions.

Jesus, do you laugh and smile at my short-sightedness, or does it make you mad? Do you feel like putting your foot down with me too, Lord? Help me to grow up and to grow wise in the ways that make you proud. Meanwhile, thank you for your incredible patience!

++++++++++

Consider it pure joy when you face trials because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
James 1:2-3

In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ concerning you.
I Thes 5:18

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith who... endured the cross... so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Heb 12:2-3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home