Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Got a Seat for Jesus?

My journal last month began with a tribute to Frank on what would have been our 39th anniversary and ended with my praise for sharing the Word with my grandchildren. What a joy to look back on the journey and reminisce over a lifetime of joy. Now, I get to experience some of the riches of passing on my infatuation for God and His Word.  

I will never forget the images of watching those kids around me on the couch, all holding their Bibles and reading the stories from the book of John with such energetic interest. Little Molly at five and a half is already an accomplished reader (just like her mom and big sister) and has fallen in love with the new Italian pink Bible I got her. She would eagerly come to devotions each day with a yellow pencil to highlight the verses she likes.

At seven, Ellie has a yellow marker for hers (she could teach third grade already) and peppers every verse she reads with questions.  And Judah, just turned eleven, soaks in every detail. He loves the humor and he really gets it. I can see the look in his eyes when we talk about the power of Jesus.

They all loved the hilarious alternatives we propose, such as a lame man lying by the pool at Bethsaida for 38 years and then stubbornly refusing to try getting up.

Jesus: Do you want to be well?

Paralytic:  Nah, not really. I’m kind of used to this place. Thanks anyway, Jesus, but I’m having too much fun here.  Besides, I don’t think anyone has the power to help someone like me. I’m just too stuck!

Jesus: “Pick up your mat and walk!”

Paralytic:  Well, that’s a nice suggestion but... I don't think God could do that!  

Somehow, the look in Jesus’ eye and the firmness of his voice convinced him to at least try. What IF he’s right and you were just FOOLISH enough to ignore the invitation of a lifetime? (That’s powerful, isn’t it?)
 
In one case I had Judah role play Jesus walking on the water while the rest of us pretended to be in the boat on the Sea of Tiberius. What’s THAT?  WHO’S THAT? It’s a GHOST!!!  Ellie then got out of our couch boat and tried walking to him on the water, but fell in halfway until Judah pulled her out.
 
Then Jesus got in the boat and they were INSTANTLY on the shore! After struggling to paddle against the winds for hours without him, everything changed in the twinkling of an eye. Were they shot by an angel’s sling shot?

We roared as I demonstrated how they might have started paddling but the boat was already on the sand!  GOD took them EXACTLY where they needed to be! No storm can slow him down or cause him to miss his final destination.  (Thanks Jesus, that was a great reminder.)

We were loud, we were silly, we were totally into it. I can’t help but think THAT’S the way Bible reading should be every day! Teaching kids helps ME make sure that I’m getting it too. I know of no greater joy in all the world.
 
How’s your devotional reading and Bible study going? Maybe you could teach some kids and see what happens. Got a seat for Jesus?



 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home