Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The fragrance of friendship


At Jim and Lisa's Bible study the other night, we were a small but genuine group seated on big stuffed chairs and surrounded by bowls of popcorn and m&ms. So sweetly nursed to comfort after a long and hectic day. My dear friends always listen with their hearts, and they pray and believe so fervently. I love these guys, and their home is nothing short of a spiritual oasis.

With Bibles and notepads open on our laps we were discussing the meaning of Proverbs 27:9-10.

“Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel. Do not forsake your friend….”

The beauty of that passage emerged after Jim kept asking about the word earnest and what does that say to you? We rolled the words around in our thoughts and sweet gentle discussion flowed amongst friends. Sometimes, even when you talk to a friend, you feel like your heart is in your hand, one said. There's some risk in every confrontation. My own thoughts melded together and tumbled out, too…

To me, the word earnest implies great effort, time spent, and depth of feeling, I think. That’s the beauty of it. How is perfume made but by the alchemist who takes the seeds and rose petals and crushes them with the mortar and pestle? He crushes and pounds and works the substance around until the fragrances are released and blended into the oils. What brings the fragrance out but the process, sometimes breaking, sometimes in mingled in the oil of tears? It is the crushing of humility and putting down our ugly pride, baring our true souls through thick and thin.

When you find a true friend like this who will be honest and genuine, even when it hurts, you have found a refreshing joy to the heart. It will be like perfume or incense, a sweet fragrance released that can enhance who God made you to be.

True friends will invest time and make an effort and give advice in earnest because they care. They won't give up on you. They will bare their true souls. What a valuable treasure!

I looked around the room at the sweet faces of these people I love. Mmmmm. Yes, it is just like perfume.

Lord God, whether I’m writing or teaching or just trying to be a friend to someone, teach me how to bare my soul to the people I truly love and care about. Let me bring joy to the heart of my friends, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home