Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An Unseen Hand and a Holy Whistle

My son was telling me about a friend who is applying to the FBI to work as an agent. The hiring process is thorough and there are many levels of interrogations and tests involved. In fact, he’s been followed and monitored with exacting precision.

We were saying that it must be a weird feeling to realize you’re being followed and scrutinized by unseen eyes, whether driving down the highway or sitting at your desk at work. Then the thought struck me. Isn’t it even more daunting, more mind-boggling, to realize you’re being led by an unseen hand?

The most exciting thing I know in life is the realization that God is at work in me. For example, whenever I experience one of those 'chance encounters' I just can’t get it out of my mind. GOD can DIRECT our very STEPS! You have to keep your eyes open though. It's easy to miss what God is doing.

Do young children choose his path?
We may think we’re taking a casual stroll, as I was doing with my grandchildren yesterday. “Let’s go Nana,” my grandson urged. “Maybe we should just walk around the block honey,” I coaxed. "We don't have much time before the baby has to nap." “Oh no! Nana, we have to go to Choate Park!” he pleaded. But when we got there one of the local daycares was having a welcome day and the entire park was buzzing like a beehive. Every swing was taken and practically every spot of sand was filled with little people. I'd never seen it so busy.

"Let’s walk this way," I called to my grandson. So we were detoured down the bike path and that’s when we suddenly found ourselves walking side by side with another woman and a couple kids. The kids started playing tag around us as we walked. Next thing you knew it, we were deep in conversation and I quickly realized that this was more than a chance meeting.

I learned that this dear woman had been praying for six years for a certain thing, a word of encouragement, an inspiration in her life. She has struggled against many obstacles including physical handicaps in her and her child. As I listened to her, I knew in my spirit that God had already prepared me with specific words for her encouragement and I was so excited and happy to be his messenger. I didn't even want to come to the park that day, but my grandson had practically insisted.

GOD wanted this dear woman to see how HE cares for her. HE HAS A PLAN! He is the master designer of our lives! The wonder of this present, living and active God will never cease to fill me with awe.

Do Dogs listen to God?
I spent the afternoon on Labor Day at a lovely country field watching the dogs run and the kids play and the clouds roll by as I was reading and praying. It would sure be nice to talk to someone, I thought after finishing my book.

Just then, I spotted a couple of beautiful goldens coming down the path. Right behind them, a runner appeared and waved. “Nice dogs!” I waved back as they ran by. But without my realizing it, both dogs had circled around from the path and came back to see me. I still miss my old dogs so it was fun to visit them. And right behind them, the runner had also doubled back.

Hmmm, I’m thinking, how unusual. Runners don't usually like to stop. Lord, what does this man need to hear? I invited him to join me and almost instantly we were talking about spiritual things. He pulled out a silver chain that had belonged to a great uncle and showed me the inscribed emblem around his neck. The medallion had actually been grazed by a bullet in the Civil War and saved the man’s life! Bill wears it to this day and is reminded of God’s blessing over his family.

"I don't go to church," he said with a twinge of guilt, "but I do believe in God. I thank him every morning." The focus of our conversation went right to the heart of what it means to live your faith dynamically, wholeheartedly, in fellowship with Jesus. You can know his presence. You can hear his voice just like these dogs hear your whistle. You can walk with him through this life. It's not about going to church. It's about the faith in your heart and the vital link to him that comes only through his Spirit.

He asked lots of questions and the Lord filled my mind with examples and truth for him. Honestly, a lot of the ideas were filtering right through the book I had just finished reading. That was a marvelous encounter, so perfectly timed. I could see the Lord was challenging him to think deeply about his life. “You should go to divinity school,” he advised after some serious moments. Oh, I think the only school I need is obedience school!

Again, I knew the Lord had directed that meeting. Who knows but that the dogs themselves had heard a holy whistle and played a role in it? It’s almost as though he was pulled over with some unseen magnetic force. And afterwards he shook my hand and thanked me for giving him new perspective. It's not me though, of course. Isn’t God amazing? He is the unseen hand and the director of the "chance encounter." He draws and whispers and answers the innermost prayers of the heart.

Do you know him? Do you hear his voice? Do you follow him like these children and family pets? I wonder sometimes if these "lesser" souls and creatures put us to shame in their responses to God?

The Lord often refers to himself as our shepherd and likens us to sheep. Why sheep? They are among the simplest of creatures. Timid... needy... ignorant... followers. We need protection, we need guidance, more than we even realize half the time. But the interesting thing is that God set such a perfect relational lesson in place for those who will listen. Even the silly sheep know their master's voice! If it's that simple, why don't we?

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me..." John 10:14

"The watchman opens the gate and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls the sheep by name and leads them out... his sheep follow him because they know his voice." John 10:3-4

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand." John 10:27-28

My sheep know my voice, the Lord said plainly. All you have to do is ask him and come into the fold of his loving embrace.


To me, it is entirely evident,
clearly construed,
and absolutely apparent.
It is perfectly plain
when I bump into someone
with a hunger for God
that He had it planned all along.

Nothing surprises him.
He is the God of the minute detail.
He is always watching.
This is the God of all creation.
Is anything too hard for him?
Yes, every little unseen detail
is laid bare before the eyes of the Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home