Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dreams

A Bad Dream
I had a dream about a week ago that keeps coming back to me. Maybe it has something to do with the fleeting thoughts I’ve had, wondering how all this is going to turn out. Am I really going to make it? Or, maybe it was just one of those late night snacks… something chocolate.


I dreamed I was driving the pathfinder in Natick, somewhere along Route 9, across from the mall. It was a busy parking lot area and I had visible luggage in the back, but I had to go inside the store for something and I had no choice but to leave everything locked up outside. I had my laptop and valuables in there too. What a nuisance. Oddly, I had a couple litters of puppies with me, and for some reason, I was sorry I had them. How am I supposed to manage all this alone?

I parked in the shady spot near a row of bushes and went inside. I have no idea how much time passed, but when I came out, the puppies were out on the grass. They were fine, cool, laying in the shade, and I was glad no one had taken them. How odd. Who did this?

Then my heart quickened. Maybe Frank came by while I was inside and decided to help with the puppies! Maybe he went to get water for them? That’s just the sort of thing he would do, I thought. No, he would have come and told me--wouldn’t he?

That’s when I noticed my car. It had been completely stripped! Not only was all my luggage, laptop, camera, and all I owned gone, but the car itself had been stripped down to the bare metal! I couldn’t believe my eyes. Why would someone leave all these adorable and valuable puppies and take all that metal and stuff? Even in my dream, the worst part of it was realizing that all my writing was stolen too.

I just stood there, stunned, trying to absorb the loss. It was so painful I woke myself up. The very worst part is that I never got to see Frank.

And I woke up, alone again.

Gosh, I wish I could have happier dreams!

++++++++++++

Understanding it
The sweetest part is that I still felt that Frank was around, checking up on me from behind the scenes somehow, and helping me take care of things. Boy, that was comforting! I wish I could have seen him though.

Now when I think about it, the dream highlights the things I value. How ironic that the things I didn’t want, the pathfinder which I’ve been trying to sell, and all those puppies, were all that was left. Everything I really cared about had been taken.

There are things I can’t hang onto or protect. Everything can be taken away. There’s so little left of my life and of the things I value!

The dream exposes how I feel emotionally. Like Naomi had said in the book of Ruth, I'll be honest. I feel like my life has been stripped clean, picked to the bare bones in significant ways.

What’s left?

Where do I go from here?

+++++++++++++++++++

Looking Up
Okay, it’s not the norm for me to write to such a downward spiral and leave you (and me) in the pits. Life does have pits, but we don’t need to stay there.

This reminds me of the old Rabbi who said, “We can’t stop the birds from flying over our heads, or pooping on our shoulders, but we can keep them from building a nest in our hair!” Ha! Isn’t that great?

Truly, the Lord is able to lift us up from those downer moods and aching thoughts. He reminded me by this dream that what I truly need to value is what is eternal: God’s Word and souls--the souls of men, women and children who will live forever.

All these things around us now will be stripped away. Everything will be laid bare before your eyes. All our cares and worries will be laid aside too.

Come what may, we still have a choice to make every day.

God, help us live our lives so they will count for your glory when we come into your awesome presence. I can't wait!...
Now there’s a good dream to hold onto.
Sweet dreams!






1 Comments:

Blogger Demian Farnworth said...

My sweet friend,
I am praying that God will begin to replace some of those things which were stripped from you. Just like He restored to Job even more than what Job lost, I pray He will fill your life to overflowing. Many blessings and thank you for the encouragement you so willingly pour out.
Boston

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home