Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Slay that Dragon and Kill that Clown!

Life is a battle and the mind a battleground. My friends, feed your spirit. Be strong in the Lord.

The monster we fight reminds me of the clown in Stephen King's It. I flicked on a few scenes of it late one night while scanning the stations. Eeeeeeh! I respect King as a writer, and marvel at the clever usage of the ordinary, but yikes! The evil one is lurking behind every doorway and popping out in the most unexpected places. Appearing in such common places of everyday comfort, he chooses the bathroom sink or inside a refrigerator, or a bunch of ordinary, helpful people whose voices suddenly change.

That's just what the enemy of our souls does too, disguising himself in many colors, perverting the ordinary and even distracting us with balloons at times. Whatever it takes to pull us away or squelch our joy.

And just as a bunch of colorful balloons should bring joy to our lives, instead they bring a sense of ominous dread. They strike fear in our hearts in a King film simply because you know what’s coming.

This is the kind of world we live in now. Everything’s being twisted and confused values are taking over in every arena. None is so sinister and void of reason as abortion, where something as innocuous and innocent sounding as ‘pro choice’ has become the byline for murdering babies by the thousands. We are duped! We are so sadly deluded. We scramble from one scandal and horror to another, but nothing changes. It seems our nation is careening further away from God on a slippery path toward destruction. You can almost hear demonic laughter in the sewers.

Similarly, that pitiful band of childhood friends scrambled through life hoping to find the magic bullet. But to their dismay, that clown just kept appearing, finding new and more frightening avenues to disarm and horrify. The most uncomfortable part of watching IT was realizing how utterly defenseless they were.

In real life, we have a relentless enemy also. He keeps trying to throw us off balance or convince us to abandon faith entirely. His schemes grow more inventive, more wildly anti-God. He pops up around every turn and tries to undo us, but THANK GOD we are not left powerless!

Yes, dear band of friends, the LORD has given us sure defenses against every wile. The Word of God is able to slay the dragons and kill the clown every time he rears his ugly head. It really works! His Word never fails!

Here are some trustworthy arrows that will help you stand even on the most fearful occasions.

I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13

He said to me, “My GRACE is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that CHRIST’s POWER may rest on me. That’s why, for CHRIST’s sake, I delight in weaknesses.. hardships… difficulties. Because when I am weak, THEN I AM STRONG! 2 Cor 12:9-10

God is able to make ALL GRACE abound to me so that in ALL THINGS at ALL TIMES having ALL that I need, I WILL ABOUND in EVERY good work… He supplies seed to the sower and bread for food and he WILL supply and INCREASE… and ENLARGE the harvest… 2 Cor 9:8-10

To God be the praise and overflow of thanksgiving! Amen!


++++++++++++++++

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home