Wednesday, July 03, 2013

A Time for Every Purpose Under Heaven

It's the day before the Fourth of July and temperatures rose well into the 80's today. After a few days of rain, I noticed some lacey layers and fresh new sprays of silken color outside my door.

So as soon as the sun popped out, I grabbed my Bible and coffee cup and scurried out to the Adirondack chair to sit in front of my little fountain and soak it all in—God’s sweet fragrance and presence, and yes, a little needed caffeine.
 

The fresh white daisies I discovered a few days ago are already gone, but a host of new lilies have appeared above them. Tall plumes of orange tigers, white and yellow lilies blossomed in my little piece of heaven, this garden behind my house.


Spectacular fuschia geranium sprouted next to the basil like neon origami butterflies, and my broad leafed hibiscuses are out in full sprays of coral pink and crimson. They resemble women’s gowns in frilly layers of silk with white lacey trim and fine beads of gold suitable for any opera or fancy ball. 



Extravagant yellow lilies are flocked with auburn and speckled with black beads, like high society women going to tea in Singapore. Two sets of three perfect satin petals explode with such delicate beauty.

 
The soft purple hyacinth is a bouquet of its own accord. Unfolding petals coil around the cluster like a congress of butterflies bustling with the latest talk of the town.  

I opened the front door to get the mail and was met by a virtual field of yellow poppies lining the front walk! They resemble gigantic buttercups dancing in the sun and my granddaughters love them.

These are one of the national flowers in Wales where my grandfather was born.  I visited Wales in 2011 and adored those rolling green hilltops dotted with sheep--perfect as a Charles Dickens storybook. I can imagine these happy blossoms along every stone walkway, adorning every thatch cottage in that charming countryside.  


Every morning here I step outside to a surprising sea of color in my own backyard and praise the God of creation! (Seriously, I took every one of these photos myself, right here!) How can anyone think this accidental? Each season knows its own time and purpose. As one species runs its course, another blooms with its fresh scent and uniquely punctual contribution.  
 

Truly as Solomon wrote 1,000 years before Christ, "there is a time for everything and a season for every purpose under heaven!” (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
 
 
Centuries later, Jesus drew our attention to the flowers when he preached the Sermon on the Mount. “Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” (Matthew 6:28-29)

 
I love flowers, each one expressing the hope of new life and the power of resurrection from the hard cold earth. I think God intended for flowers to illustrate that He tends his world with loving care and perfect attention to every detail. He calls us to rest in His love and to trust his design.
 
Do you?


 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home