Monday, July 08, 2013

American Commercials, Heat Waves, and No-Brainer Choices


After waiting it out for days in a steamy house, the repairmen finally made it today. Thank God, the AC is working again!  Only trouble is, now I don’t have a dryer! Apparently the house is wired only to accommodate one of these 240v luxuries at a time. But THAT was a no-brainer. Since I’ve been having headaches through this heat wave of the past week, I’ll hang the laundry and wait a little longer for clean towels and underwear, in exchange for the ability to breathe, THINK, and sleep better!

 

I’ve always been amazed at those commercials that describe how you can get rid of watery eyes or sneezing with some miracle-working pill. The only problem is the risk of migraines, dizziness, fainting while driving, renal cancer, heart failure and DEATH!  Geesh, I think any sensible person would rather sneeze and sniffle a little. Are we NUTS?

 

Aren’t some of life’s choices interesting? There are certain everyday comforts I don’t want to give up like running water and electric lights, while others only necessitate a slight adjustment. Right now, I shake my head to remember how I lived for sixteen years, a few degrees off the equator with three small children and so few modern conveniences. Hauling water, burning garbage, kneading bread, we lived hundreds of miles from a store or a road or a doctor…   

 

There are new commercials that highlight the ridiculous difference between choosing “and” or, “or,” such as black and white, or, black or white;  bed and breakfast, or, a bed or breakfast. Those marketing teams must have so much fun at work! They make the point, “and” is much better. That way, you don’t have to make up your mind. Not to worry, they say, you can have it all!

 

Although in many ways I’ve become a spoiled American who wants my cake and to eat it too, I’ve also seen the importance of bringing all my choices to the Lord and TRUSTING that He knows WHAT I need and WHEN I need it. Truly!

 

This is what RESTING is all about. I haven’t always been very good at it, but thankfully, I can stop at any time and make the best choice:  to FOLLOW GOD, and REST in His Choices for my life. The rest is up to Him, and then I can REST too. Now that should be a no-brainer, but sometimes, we’re just plain NUTS. We believe the jingle and mindlessly swallow some pretty pink pill. We go for the quick fix, the non-watery eyes or the non-itchy nose, but lose sight of what we forfeit.   



 
Dear God, give me wisdom in the choices I make!  Thank you for being a light to my path and for your awesome forever promises to help me with every burden. For you said in your Word... 
 


“Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy with the burdens of life and join me. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke of relationship is easy and my burden is light.”  (from Matthew 11:28-30)

 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home